SLEEP AND WEIGHT LOSS
Good sleep and weight loss go hand in hand.
Yes you heard me correctly. You can prioritise your sleep and it will help you lose body fat!
Let me explain...
Exercising more can only counter act so much of what may be hurting your sleep, so it's important to get to the root cause of the problem...
Before we go into what that may be, I want to let you know why good sleep will improve everything else so much more.
When we sleep better:
We make better decisions throughout the day as we aren't lacking energy and focus. ✅
We don't crave as much sugar, caffeine and simple carbohydrates for quick boosts of energy. ✅
We recover quicker from workouts. ✅
We handle stress better and this helps combat emotional eating and triggers that can usually drain us throughout the day. ✅
The list goes on!
Quantity of sleep for any adult should be between 7-9 hours.
Yes you might be able to function off less than that, but functioning and optimising are two different things.
For the parents reading this, I understand that this is a lot easier said than done!
But please don't let what you can't do, stop you from doing what you can!
Sleep is often negatively effected by stress, lack of an evening routine, alcohol consumption to name a few.
Sleep can often be the cause and the effect of this vicious pattern.
Here's the pattern: Sleep less ➡️ stress more ➡️ more stress ➡️ more distractions through social media, bad habits and so on ➡️ which leads to even worse sleep.
On the flip side, I have also trained a fair few clients in my time who do everything else right.
Exercise consistently, eat better, plan days effectively and so on. But they hit a plateau or brick wall because their sleep is insufficient.
You are only able to perform better to the extent you recover.
Work hard - Rest hard. 👌🏾
Will power and determination are great, but they can only take you so far without the systems you need to support you..
Remember, recovery will significantly improve your thinking the next day, your feelings and therefore your actions.
Here are my top tips for quality sleep:
- Create a bedtime routine of something relaxing away from screens. At least for the final hour before bed. Reading, stretching, bathing or talking with your partner whatever relaxes you. (Maybe don't talk to your partner then 🤣)
- Don't drink caffeine after 2pm. Tea, coffee, cola and so on.
- Reduce your alcohol intake, especially during the week.
- Journal before bed to air out your thoughts, worries or plans for the next day. This will help you put your mind at rest.
- Go to bed at the exact same time and wake up at the exact same time consistently. This can be massively beneficial if you have a schedule that allows you to do it.
- Turn off any artificial lights at least an hour before bed. This helps your subconscious mind know that it's time to sleep and will help you relax into a resting state. Rather than keeping your mind active.
- Prioritise your mental health. Create habits that help you feel better more often. More positivity, more focus, gratitude and being present throughout the day. The more grateful and present you are, the more trusting you are of your future. When we worry we get an opposite feeling (fear) which makes it difficult to sleep.
Next week I'll be doing an article on mental health.
This ties in very well with sleep.
Most of us struggle to sleep as we still trying to control things in the late hours of the day.
Craving control is part of the human condition, but in excess it creates over thinking, worrying and your sleep.
Check in next week to hear my take on how fitness and routines have drastically improved my mental health.
Thanks for reading 🙂
CHANGE IS POSSIBLE
join the site for exclusive access to info, videos and much more
Online is a new incredible form of coaching which allows clients to stay consistent no matter where they go or where they live. This allows for more flexibility and support which is why the results from these programmes are phenomenal.
This form of coaching has all the benefits that Face to face training has (bespoke/ accountable/ motivating) and more.
click the link for more...
Personal training with me is giving you the clarity, understanding and proven formula to acheive the results you want.
My speciality is making health and wellbeing sustainable for everyday people who have busy lifestyles and need time effective workouts and sustainable diet programmes...
click below to find out more